What attracts squirrels?
• Sunflower seeds. Each animal in the universe has that one food which no matter the situation, they just can’t ignore. This is it when it comes to squirrels. They love sunflower seeds.
• Another favourite food for squirrels is corn. They prefer the dried field corn that is still on the cob. Squirrels will always feast on corn whenever they come across them.
• A source of water; and not just puddle water or water that has stayed in an old rusty can for a week, fresh and clear water.
• Squirrels love to hang around trees. They also make them their nesting homes. An abundance of trees makes it possible for squirrels to show up. They also like to play around the trees.
• Fruit trees, fruit bushes and vines also attract squirrels. Squirrels will snatch ripe fruits directly from the branches, and feast on them. Fruits such as pears, berries, grapes, apples, peaches, plums, mangoes among other are a good feed for them.
• Wood stacks, logs or tree debris can make a good home for squirrels. Different insects also live in these places. It’s like killing a bird with one stone; availability of food and shelter in one place.
• Squirrels won’t spare eggs. Presence of a chicken coop or bird nest or any other egg laying animal’s nest might mean there are eggs and so they will come to see if there is any for eating. And in case they find hatchlings, they will eat them too.
• They do not shy off from using other animals’ nesting after they leave. A squirrels will take over a home that was once owned by a raccoon, a fox even a rat, as long as it is spacious enough and close to its source of food and water.
• Your crop farm is a definite magnet to a squirrel. All they see is food in abundance. They eat roots, leaves, stalks and even succulent flower buds. They become whole new level of disaster and loss when it comes to farming.
• Not forgetting pet food, squirrels will be attracted to that bowl containing pet food leftovers to help the cat or dog to complete its meal. These animals are however intelligent and calculated. They know that the cats and dogs are not friendly to them and so will wait till the path is clear before approaching.
• Like most invaders, squirrels will always be attracted to garbage dustbins containing food remnants to find something they can chew on.
All these will draw squirrels closer, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Individuals who wish to have squirrels hang around their residential homes should be careful as some of them may be carrying dangerous diseases such as rabies.
Read the How to get rid of squirrels page for helpful information and to learn more about What attracts squirrels?
What attracts squirrels?
We are wildlife removal experts and educators, who want to inform the public about the proper methods for safe, humane wildlife control.
By reading the tips and techniques described in this website, you can solve many common critter problems by yourself for free.
If you need professional help, we service over 500 locations throughout the USA.
Click here to hire us in your town.